profile picture for @heykahn
Invalid Date
@heykahn

The Harvard Business Review featured a piece titled The Top Five Career Regrets.

Every single regret made me reconsider my career choices.

Here are the top five regrets people had about their careers:

@heykahn

"I wish I hadn't taken the job for the money."

This was the biggest regret out of all.

We overestimate the importance of money, and underestimate other factors that could make us happy at work - like balance and finding people we enjoy working with.

@heykahn

"I wish I had quit earlier."

Of the people questioned, many who left their jobs to pursue their passion said they wish they had done so earlier.

"Those years could have been spent working on problems that mattered to me. You can’t ever get those years back."

@heykahn

"I wish I had the confidence to start my own business."

According to one study, 70% of workers wished their current job would help them with starting a business.

“My biggest regret is that I’m a ‘wantrepreneur.’ I never got to prove myself by starting something from scratch.”

@heykahn

"I wish I had used my time at school more productively."

Many of the participants said that they wish they had been more intentional in their college years.

Looking back, they wish they had leveraged those years to find a job they really like, instead of rushing to graduate.

@heykahn

"I wish I had acted on my career hunches."

Closed mouths don't get fed.

In order to accelerate your career, you sometimes have to take a chance and jump on an opportunity you have a good feeling about.

Many of the participants wish they had done that when they had the chance.